Frequently Asked Questions


Q.How will you check the roof? Will you be climbing on the roof?

A. – While I’m not against it I may, if I feel it’s safe. The possibility for injury or damaging someone else’s roof is too great of a liability and it's not included in InterNACHI's Standards of Practice, so I reserve the right not to attempt access to the roof. However there are other ways to inspect a roof. I will use a ladder to get as close to it as possible. If I can’t get close to it, I can stand back at a distance and use high-powered binoculars. There is also the possibility to view it through the window of an upper floor of the house.


Q.What are your credentials? Are you licensed?

A. – While the state of Minnesota does not require any type of certification, I am an official member & Certified Home Inspector of the NACHI (International Association of Certified Home Inspectors). I also take part in ongoing education and recertification every few years. I do have 15+ years of experience in home building and remodeling and since 2010 I have been performing home inspections exclusively for bank foreclosed homes. I have only recently opened up my services to the general public.


Q.Are your loyalties with the seller, buyer or real-estate agent?

A. – I don’t benefit from loyalties. I work with both buyers and sellers and people who just want to know about their home, so I make it a requirement to only report what I see.


Q.What kind of home inspections do you perform?

A. – I perform a non-invasive, assess & report what I find, type of inspection. For liability reasons, I will not dig, move or remove anything, or handle personals. If I can’t get to it easily, it will not be reported. There are many things that are outside the scope of home inspections and these will require a specialist in those areas. I will however report on the safety, and general livability of the home. It will be impossible to catch ever single problem, but I do our best to find most major defects. I can’t report on things like radon gas because I’m not qualified to do so. On the other hand a radon specialist is not qualified to perform inspections that cover nearly every aspect of a home. Anything I report to you is for informational purposes only. Any information provided cannot be used for insurance purposes. What I do is merely give you a snapshot of the home at the time of inspection.


Q.Do you test for Radon?

A. – I do not test for radon, but you can either call a professional and pay 75-300$ or purchase a home test kit off of Amazon for well under 50$. If the home test kit shows positive, then call a professional.


Q.Any thoughts about inspecting a newly constructed home?

A. – While construction typically has fewer problems, it is significantly harder to find those problems. For example, a roof will not show its leaks until it has seen a significant amount of rain.


Q.What type of insurance do you carry?

A. – We carry “General Liability” and because we work directly with several banks, we are required to carry ‘Errors & Omissions” insurance, also known as “Professional” insurance.


Q.What is “E&O”, “Professional” insurance?

A. – It covers us for paperwork mistakes if those mistakes lead to an injury. Keep in mind however that our home inspection is not binding in any way and is to be used only as a reference guide.


Q.Do you inspect for building code violations?

A. – I am not being hired to inspect for code compliance. I will do my best to point out problems that I am aware of, but with thousands of potential codes, I can’t be held liable for anything I may have missed. If you want a code compliance inspection, you will need to hire a “Building / Code Inspector”. Also check for a “Certificate Of Occupancy” at the local courthouse for the home, garage, deck, or any recently installed additions. If there is a “Certificate of Occupancy”, that means a building inspector has already checked it and approved it.